98 dakota SAS - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #201 (permalink)

Member # 83806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mindless View Post
Roll center seems lower than preferred. Tough to move it with a track bar though. Looks great otherwise.
I have some room to play, what would raise the roll center?
NorCal_Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #202 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 24238
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Mindless Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Mindless
Raising both pivot points of the panhard, if I'm not mistaken.

(mine is too low, and it tends to be noticable in cornering sometimes)

07.5 C&C Ram 3500 - G56, 245 19.5s, 4x2, ARB
98 Dakota on 42s, RIP - then | now | build
95 Ram 2500 on 42s - v10/auto
87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Fingerlakes 4x4 | M4wd & Fabrication | Right Coast 4x4 | Rock Modified | Rok-Freekz
Mr. Mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #203 (permalink)

Member # 131965
Got a pretty sick Dokata there dont ya
MudWild680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #204 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Is that Portuguese?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #205 (permalink)

Member # 83806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
Is that Portuguese?
Finnish
Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #206 (permalink)

Member # 83806
I tacked the brackets in place to get real-life numbers and this is where I am at.

It is setup with 8" separation at both ends (I have ability to adjust this)

Axle end lower link mount is at the centerline of the axle

Upper link mount is slightly forward of the lower link mount at the frame, I can adjust this also.

Roll center went down, this was figured with the panhard behind the axle and under the upper link. Once I mount my steering box, I may be able to fit it in front of the axle to make it longer.

Kevin

Last edited by NorCal_Dakota; 09-03-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #207 (permalink)

Member # 25689
Great job Kevin, your project is looking great! Looking forward to wheeling with you some day. My ram 2500 on 37's should be able to follow you around Hollister some day, as soon as I get out of this wheelchair and back on my feet. I will talk to you soon.

Craig
Old 10-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #208 (permalink)

Member # 171960
Just some thoughts about a possible rear axle to match your front Waggy axle. I have been told and I have confirmed the idea, that mid nineties and up Honda Passports/Isuzu Rodeos (same car) have Dana 44 rear axles. I looked when I was at a pick a part last and sure enough, every one of them has a Dana 44. Most have disc brakes and all have the 6 x 5.5 lug nut patten to match your front axle. I know the front Waggy axle is 60.5" WMS to WMS, I think the Rodeo/Passport Dana 44 is 61.5". I too am putting a Waggy front axle on my 'Kota. I might keep my Chrys 8.25 rear or swap out to something else later. Just not sure yet.
insane_realmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #209 (permalink)

Member # 109735
Send a message via AIM to SASclubcab4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_realmz View Post
Just some thoughts about a possible rear axle to match your front Waggy axle. I have been told and I have confirmed the idea, that mid nineties and up Honda Passports/Isuzu Rodeos (same car) have Dana 44 rear axles. I looked when I was at a pick a part last and sure enough, every one of them has a Dana 44. Most have disc brakes and all have the 6 x 5.5 lug nut patten to match your front axle. I know the front Waggy axle is 60.5" WMS to WMS, I think the Rodeo/Passport Dana 44 is 61.5". I too am putting a Waggy front axle on my 'Kota. I might keep my Chrys 8.25 rear or swap out to something else later. Just not sure yet.
buddy of mine has a rodeo axle its a disc, D44 but there are some quirks you need to do your research on them before just going and picking one up.
SASclubcab4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #210 (permalink)

Member # 155312
whats up with that pinion angle dude? looks like you need to build a lower front hanger. noticed you've put alot work into this thing but still no front drive line? maybe i missed something....planning on linking it intead? nice truck though.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:30 AM   #211 (permalink)

Member # 171960
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASclubcab4x4 View Post
buddy of mine has a rodeo axle its a disc, D44 but there are some quirks you need to do your research on them before just going and picking one up.
Right, there are some quirks. Like the electronic speedo sensor in the top of the diff housing and the weird yoke attached to the pinion. The speedo sensor can't be much different than the ones in our chrysler axles, but I won't know till I tear one apart. The yoke on the other hand, I know it can be swapped out for the same yoke in out 8.25 axles since it is a common pinion type that is able to take common Spicer yokes. Any more research would require me taking one of these "Dana sold these axles to an import car maker" axles and seeing things for myself. Check out this website:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...les/index.html

Like I said, it's a possible candidate. Is it as strong if not stronger than the Chrysler 8.25 I have now.... I don't know that yet. I hear they're comparable, so it a lateral upgrade.
insane_realmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #212 (permalink)

Member # 83806
Quote:
Originally Posted by soquelcumminsboy View Post
whats up with that pinion angle dude? looks like you need to build a lower front hanger. noticed you've put alot work into this thing but still no front drive line? maybe i missed something....planning on linking it intead? nice truck though.
It was on leafs, then I went to lower and stretch it and never made it to the point of setting the caster before I decided to link it instead.

I have a square shaft for the front, but broke the axle side and driverside yoke at full droop on separate occasions. I am assuming due to me grinding for clearance and still binding at full droop. Part of the reason for the stretch/lower was for a better driveline angle

Last edited by NorCal_Dakota; 10-25-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #213 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 172626
heres my 99 dak

44hp front dana 60 rear. four link front hydro assist.arbs 513s. 38.5 boggers http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture013.jpg
dobbers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #214 (permalink)

Member # 83806
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbers84 View Post
44hp front dana 60 rear. four link front hydro assist.arbs 513s. 38.5 boggers http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture013.jpg
Nice, have any more pictures showing the steering?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #215 (permalink)

Member # 83806
I mocked up the axle to figure out of much frame I needed to keep to remount the steering box. I cut the frame more then in this picture, basically right behind the stock motor mounts.

The extension will be plated top/bottom/inside with 3/16" and another plate that goes from the body mount by the cab to the front of the truck.

The flat plate across the top was just to hold it square. Before I plate the sides I need to put the axle back under and finalize steering box location so I can sleeve the mounting holes before plating.

Last edited by NorCal_Dakota; 11-03-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #216 (permalink)

Member # 92697
so how do you people get by with putting the third (upper) link on the passenger side? with this setup, when the driver's side droops and the passenger side stuffs, that upper link will make the pinion rotate downward, increasing the driveshaft angle. the combination of the drooping driver's side and the downward rotation of the pinion seems like it would create a driveshaft angle too severe for any u-joint.

no?

1 Ton Dakota: [url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780044&highlight=ton+dakota[/url]
silvrbeastjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #217 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 172626
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal_Dakota View Post
Nice, have any more pictures showing the steering?
dobbers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #218 (permalink)

Member # 112788
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbeastjr View Post
so how do you people get by with putting the third (upper) link on the passenger side? with this setup, when the driver's side droops and the passenger side stuffs, that upper link will make the pinion rotate downward, increasing the driveshaft angle. the combination of the drooping driver's side and the downward rotation of the pinion seems like it would create a driveshaft angle too severe for any u-joint.

no?
Isn't the whole idea of a 3 link that the pinion angle doesn't (or hardly) change?

His 3 link setup is quite a bit different than your y-link setup.

Last edited by HahnsB2; 11-04-2010 at 10:16 AM.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #219 (permalink)

Member # 25689
Good Job

Looking great Kevin! Have you wheeled it much yet? Whats next on your to do list?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #220 (permalink)
high off aluminum

Member # 37026
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbeastjr View Post

no?
the upper link would have to have some type of slip or adjustment in it in order for the pinion to move around. the driveline and slip will stay basically in the same spot throughout the entire cycle of the suspension.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #221 (permalink)
high off aluminum

Member # 37026
i also have a quesion. are you going to continue to run a steering box or go full hydro? i would make your panhard bar another foot longer and moved the upper link back on the axle end and have the panhard bar in front of it lower and longer. your gunna a good amount of bump steer.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #222 (permalink)

Member # 83806
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyul4130 View Post
i also have a quesion. are you going to continue to run a steering box or go full hydro? i would make your panhard bar another foot longer and moved the upper link back on the axle end and have the panhard bar in front of it lower and longer. your gunna a good amount of bump steer.
I am keeping the steering box. I don't have the axle under the truck anymore so I can finish the frame and motor mount but will see if I have room to lengthen the panhard.

What makes you think it will have bumpsteer? Difference in length between pan hard and the draglink?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #223 (permalink)

Member # 92697
yes. or at least thats what i've always heard (and i've been known to be wrong from time to time).

but i have bumpsteer on my current setup and i believe its because the track bar is about 5 inches shorter than the drag link. they're at the same angle, just not the same length. and there's been a couple times when i've been flexed hard and couldn't turn the steering one way or the other because of bumpsteer.

in this pic you can see how the track bar is shorter than the drag link. the track bar is brown. drag link is black. can easily see how they mount in different places. but they mount in nearly the same place on the driver's side. i believe this is the cause of my bumpsteer.

1 Ton Dakota: [url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780044&highlight=ton+dakota[/url]
silvrbeastjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #224 (permalink)
high off aluminum

Member # 37026
keep the the panhard as long and as flat as you can get it but also you want it parallel with the draglink. i hate to say it but you wont like how it drives.

what are the length of all your links? if i were you i would take that axle end panhard mount and move it right in front of the joint on the axle end next to the "C". just make sure when you steer it it will clear the bracket. then take the upper link bracket at the axle end and rotate it back on the axle tube so the panhard can be in front of it rather then behind. depending on whether you have a forward swing or standard box just make the panhard mount on the frame stick out a little further to get some more length out of it but still so you can clear a shock/bumps and what not.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #225 (permalink)
Mom Says I'm Special

Member # 26857
Send a message via MSN to Fawk Awph
Kyle is right. Rotate your upper link mount back and run the panhard infront of the tower. This will allow you to get about 6" more length out of your panhard. As far as getting it flat, that's not such a huge deal as getting it parallel with the draglink, my setup itsnt super flat at ride height, but they are damn near perfectly parallel. Take a look at my build in the taco section, as well as erikB and addicted offroads, I'll tell you to look at Pauls build but that could take weeks to find any actual info.

Btw, I have ZERO bump steer, and it drives tits at 75 and takes the curves really well too.

Last edited by Fawk Awph; 12-06-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Fawk Awph is offline   Reply With Quote